Alberta Indigenous Solar Program
The program supports solar power projects that assist in:
- increasing Indigenous participation in Climate Leadership initiatives that reduce community greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- the transition to a lower carbon economy
- creating more sustainable community energy generation
- equipping Indigenous communities with information to support them in investing in solar energy infrastructure
- First Nation communities, Metis Settlements and the Aseniwuche Winewak Nation
- Indigenous-led organizations, including Friendship Centres and Indigenous community-owned businesses
- Applicants must be in compliance with the terms and conditions of any previous Alberta Indigenous Relations funding
- Applicant communities or organizations must be located in the Province of Alberta
Projects eligible for funding
AISP grant funding supports projects that:
- are compliant with the Government of Alberta’s Micro-generation Regulation 27/2008 (for grid-connected projects)
- are greater than or equal to 2 kilowatts (kW DC PV array capacity) and less than or equal to 1 megawatt (MW DC PV array capacity) in installation capacity
- have a cost under $3.75 per watt
- installations may be considered even if they are not grid-connected
- are completed within one (1) year of the signing of the grant application
- are new installations, where “new” is defined as installations that are completed and operational (energized) after the Indigenous Relations Climate Leadership grant application is approved.
- The call for submissions will open October 5, 2016, and will remain open for submission until program funding is exhausted.
- AISP provides funding for up to 60% of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $200,000 per project.
- Applicants can access other non-Government of Alberta funded programs to cover the remaining 40% of the project costs. The maximum funding stacking level is 100% of eligible costs.
- All funding sources should be clearly identified in the project budget.
Once the Application letter is received, the following process is implemented:
- An assessment will be conducted by Indigenous Relations to ensure the application letter and other documents content the required information
- An assessment will confirm applicant eligibility and suitability with the Alberta Indigenous Solar Program
Additional information may be requested if an application is incomplete. Applicants will be informed of any deficiencies and will be given two weeks to provide the additional information.
Note: All AISP grant applications are subject to Ministerial approval.
How to apply
- Complete the Alberta Indigenous Solar Program grant application/form letter and budget form.
- Use the AISP Application Guidelines to assist in completing the application package and prepare a proposal if needed.
- Complete the AISP Application Checklist to ensure the application package is completed and ready for submission.
- Submit funding application package by:
- email to IR.email@example.com (prefer)
- mail to:
Alberta Indigenous Relations
Attention: Climate Leadership-AISP
19th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 – 102 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 4G8
Note: A comprehensively completed application package will ensure quicker processing of the application.
Have questions about the program, services or the grant application process?
- email IR.firstname.lastname@example.org or,
- phone 1-780-427-8407
To call toll-free from anywhere in Alberta, dial 310-0000, Monday to Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. MST.